ShoreTel Connect – 10 Commonly Asked Questions
By Inflow Communications
- What version of ShoreTel do we need to be on to upgrade to Connect?
Your current system must be on version 13.x or 14.x before upgrading to Connect. Upgrades from versions prior to 13.x are not supported. For Contact Center, you must be on version 8 or 9 to move to the Connect Contact Center platform.
- Can we use the old Communicator client with Connect?
No, the Communicator client will not work with Connect. The Connect platform uses the Connect client which is a new, separate software. Communicator must be uninstalled before you can install the new Connect client so this process should be done alongside your Connect upgrade. The Connect client will not function with the 14.2 platform, so you cannot change out the clients beforehand without losing functionality.
- Will my current switches and phones work with Connect?
Yes, all SG model switches and ShoreTel IP phones work with Connect. While new Connect rollouts are supplied with the upgraded ST model switches, the older SG models will still work with the system. If you are upgrading from a build prior to version 12, your server is on Windows 2008 R2 or you’re migrating from a 32-bit server, there are special steps to consider during your upgrade. Please contact us to review hardware compatibility.
- What browsers does Connect Director work in?
Connect Director can now be accessed via multiple browsers. See the list below for recommended browsers and versions:
- Internet Explorer 11
- Firefox 51.0.1
- Google Chrome 56.0.2924.87 (64-bit)
- Safari 10.1
- MS Edge 25.10586.0
- What OS does the Connect client work on?
Connect has made many changes to the client and it will now work on both Windows and MAC OS X. See below for specific versions:
ShoreTel Desktop Client for Windows
- Microsoft Windows 7 SP1
- Microsoft Windows 8
- Microsoft Windows 8.1
- Microsoft Windows 10
- WTS (30 Clients)
- Citrix XenApp 7.6 (30 Clients)
- Citrix XenDesktop Support
ShoreTel Desktop Client for MAC OS X
- Apple OS X 10.10.x
- Apple OS X 10.12.x
- Do our Advanced Applications work with Connect?
Most Advanced Applications are certified to work with both the 14.x Platform and Connect. A full list of available Advanced Applications for Connect can be found on ShoreTel’s website:
- What version of Outlook does Connect work with?
Connect is compatible with the following version of Outlook:
- Office 2013 (32-bit version) on Windows
- Office 2013 (64-bit version) on Windows
- Office 2016 (32-bit version) on Windows, and Apple OS X
- Office 2016 (64-bit version) on Windows, and Apple OS X
- Office 2011 on Apple OS X
- Office 365 (hosted Exchange) or Exchange 2013 (local Exchange)
- Hosted Exchange 2016
- Premise Exchange 2013 with Outlook 2016
- Can I use a virtual server and what is supported?
Yes, ShoreTel servers can be virtualized in either VMware or Hyper-V. Below are the supported server OSs for Connect:
ShoreTel Main and Distributed Servers (Standalone, VMware and Hyper-V)
- Windows Server 2016 (Standard or Datacenter Editions only). Note: Connect Contact Center is not yet supported for Windows Server 2016.
- Windows Server 2012 R2 (Standard or Datacenter Editions only) (64-bit version)
- Windows Server 2008 R2 (Standard and Enterprise Editions only) with SP2 (64-bit version)
- Microsoft Hyper-V Gen 1 and 2 on Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 and 2012 R2 ONLY
- Can I use my current server or build a new server?
You can upgrade in place on your existing server if you are already on an OS that is supported. There is also the option to migrate to a new server during the upgrade process. When discussing an upgrade with support, be sure to take this portion into consideration as it affects how long your upgrade will take to complete.
- Can I control password strength for my users?
Yes. Connect allows administrators to choose a password strength and expiration time for client and voicemail passwords. This is based off a formula that takes password complexity and length into consideration.
Founded in 1997, Inflow Communications is a national leader in unified communications and Contact Centers. With over to 100,000 endpoints under Inflow’s innovative support plans around the world, their dedication to knowledge, innovation, and unrivaled customer support has landed them in ShoreTel’s top 2% in global customer satisfaction, and as a winner of ShoreTel’s coveted Circle of Excellence Partners award. For two years in a row, Inflow is a ShoreTel Platinum Partner, the highest level of partnership, and is their fastest growing partner globally. In addition, Inflow is one of the few Cloud Contact Center providers that offer implementation, ongoing support, and comprehensive consulting and training programs. Inflow services clients across the globe and has local offices in over 10 major cities in the US.