By Travis Dillard, President Inflow Communications and Jona Sanford, Senior Voice Engineer Inflow Communications
First it was analog lines, then PRIs, and more recently, SIP trunks. Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) is the next technology iteration for connecting your communications system to the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN). Heres a quick list of the things youd better be considering when making this decision:
- Flexibility in DID use, Caller ID, & with virtual SIP trunk
- Disaster recovery is streamlined through web portal, auto failover, and geographic distribution
- Scalability in that call capacity can be easily increased and trunks can be added quickly
- Cost savings because it costs less to deploy and has less expensive long distance rates
- Session Border Controller is recommended
- Codecs must be understood
- All types of network connections should be considered
- Bandwidth has to be adequate
- Flexibility means more deployment planning
- 911 calling requires special configuration
- Limitations exist in both physical and virtual SIP trunk appliances
- Difficulties with notification of some failure scenarios
- SIP and PBX Incompatibilities
- Fax (vs SIP) is not generally recommended
Matching SIP trunks with the reliability and scalability of a ShoreTel architecture can be a smart choice. If deployed correctly, you can reap the many benefits SIP trunks offer. SIPs can be used to connect disparate communication systems together. Enjoy more flexibility, reliability, and cost savings in your ShoreTel system with SIP Trunk technology. (though not yet perfect)
Need more information on integrating SIP trunks with ShoreTel? Give us a call and speak to a Unified Communications design or support engineer.
Founded in 1997, Inflow is one of the nation’s top Unified Communications and Contact Center consultants in today’s market. Pioneers in cloud unified communications and cloud contact center success, Inflow is the first company to provide contact center consulting and training focused solely on helping you elevate your customer experience.
With over 200,000 endpoints supported under Inflow’s innovative success programs around the world, Inflow built its brand and reputation around providing unrivaled customer support. Inflow is in Mitel/ShoreTel’s top 2% in global customer satisfaction, and quickly acquiring a top spot with RingCentral, Genesys PureCloud and NICE inContact.
By partnering with Inflow, you can expect the highest level of strategic consultation, execution, and optimization available in the industry.